Aha. I have just scored a used copy of the book I want to read for NiceTalk. Hurray! I have been (casually) trying to get this book for almost 2 years - Mapping the Terrain by Suzanne Lacy. Thought I would note that I also came across copies of a book I recommend highly for only $3.97 (plus shipping of course) - Suzy Gablick's Re-Enchantment of Art. This book really helped me clarify my pov on post-modernism and helped me see it as having 2 main branches - the dominant nihilist, amoral part from French theorists and the politically and spirtually charged part (guess which part I identify with). Anyway, I will get my book by January 16 and then will diligently begin my reading for Nicetalk.
ec
Saturday, January 6, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Suzy Gablick is the person who coined the term connective aesthetics. Very cool ideas about art that is concerned with meaningful person-to-person relationships. A friend of mine is really influenced by Gablick and has built a large part of her practice on the idea of connective aesthetics. Here is a project she did a few years ago. Maybe not the best example, but here it is: http://www.wadetoronto.com/2004proj.html
so glad i checked the blog again - i too have observed those 2 branches, i would add "narcissist" to the former, and "narcissist"(!) to the latter only insofar as the latter, like the law, will attract those who may have those same conscious/unconscious motivations - if anything is to remain political in the best sense and spiritual, a healthy practice of self-examination and awareness, continued questioning of one's possible desire/fear of power and attention, and recognition and respect for the separateness and autonomy of the other. anyway, that's my unschooled rant. i hope to find the book and read it too - good choice ec. and, will check out your friend's site kb. definitely, connective aesthestics makes sense to me.
Post a Comment