Thursday, December 21, 2006
Top 100
I received my catalogue from the National Gallery of Canada for the exhibition, Art Metropole: The Top 100 (and a free admission - I will try and get to Ottawa before Feb. 25). I am excited and pleased to be in this exhibition. My entry calls me a "Toronto-based artist". This happened when I performed in Montreal in 2004 too. Then, it irritated me that a Niagara address was so off the radar it was ignored that I had not lived in Toronto since 1988. This time, I am reflecting that I have never felt part of an art community since I lived in Toronto in the 70s and 80s and somehow it is interesting to be called "Toronto-based". Like maybe I should move back there. The entry goes on - "....Chitty's video countered dominant feminist discourse and became an object of censure.... Chitty...used video to assert her conviction that women could claim authorship of their own bodes as sexual subjects." So, there so you have it, 25 years later vindicated in national art history. Goodo. At the time, that censure felt like red hot pokers all over my body and caused me a lot of emotional pain - the downside of artist communities. Anyway, food for thought for me about what it is to be part and not part of artist communities.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
hey elizabeth:
i tried to see your piece at the NAC, and did read the bit on you in the book. i'll be heading back to ottawa in february so hopefully will be able to see the piece then. i find what you wrote - feeling hot pokers - relevant. i have been ruminating on the fact of the experience of social violation - on autonomy, dignity, humanity - and if/who feels/experiences it - as a fact for some artists (versus the public expression of narcissistic suffering) - does any of this make sense? community - even artists, feminists, etc., etc. - as a two edged sword. i'd like to hear more about the piece as well as see it. sexual autonomy and ownership of their sexuality is still at issue. btw, did check out your website and viewed 'blue moon' - very good, elizabeth, moving, deep, interesting, real.
Post a Comment